Translate

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Cats are Carnivores Not Vegetarians

 My veterinarian told me to feed my cats high-protein food that had meat as the number one ingredient. That cats were carnivores, not vegetarians.  He used the example that you never see stray cats eating an ear of corn but you will see them eating a mouse. 



So whenever I shop for cat food I remember what my veterinarian told me and look for foods that have animal protein, chicken, fish, beef, or lamb as a primary ingredient. 

Lately, I have been finding a lot of food with corn, in fact, many of the foods have corn as the primary ingredient.   I feed the outdoor cats a kibble that was said to be Complete Essentials but that food has filler foods including corn gluten, grain, and soy.  



Corn, soy, peas, potatoes, and wheat are filler foods to make the bag heavier I guess.  These filler foods are substituted for protein and they are high in carbohydrates. 

Cat food that is high in carbohydrates usually makes my cats fat and causes them to have digestion issues. Some cats are allergic to corn and grains, and cat food high in carbs may cause some cats to become obese or get diabetes.  



Remember my veterinarian said that carnivore cats need to eat animal protein and that it should be the number one ingredient. 

I know it's hard to find cat food that has high animal protein so I would recommend shopping for limited ingredients. Shop for cat food that has no fillers’ corn, wheat, soy, peas, and potatoes.  Remember that less expensive cat food has corn that is the first ingredient and that corn is flavored to taste like chicken.   

No comments: