Translate

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Ways to Keep Garage Cats Warm in Winter

Today I received a message from a follower at my Cat Adoption Guide and they told me that they have cats that live outdoors.  They went on to say that they allow the cats to go into their garage but feel that they need to do something to keep the cats warm.



K&H makes a soft-sided insulated outdoor cat house that comes with a heated pad that is covered with a soft Sherpa pad.  The heating element on this pad does not generate heat until your cat lies on it and then it will keep your cat warm.  I own this cat house and recommend it for garage use because the product needs protection from rain, wind, ice, and snow.

Here is cat K&H cat house and it is showing wear from being outdoors on a covered porch.  Note it is elevated off the ground to prevent rain or water runoff from penetrating.  This cat house is very lightweight and can be lifted by the wind.

I find that this particular cat house is good for a porch or garage that does not have heat.  Shown is my cat Sam lying on the pad.  Know that it is helpful to spray the heated pad covering lightly with catnip to attract cats to the shelter cavity.  Feral and stray cats are hesitant to enter through the clear plastic door flap.


Now if you are on a budget but still want to provide your outdoor cat warmth in the garage then you can always get a heavy cardboard box and fill it with straw.

Here is a photo of the dish pack size box that I set on its side and started with layers of carpet on the bottom then topped that with a fleece blanket that was folded to provide additional insulation.  On the walls and the ceiling of the box, I cut and then glued a Mylar reflective blanket that I bought at Amazon.  A foot (12 inches of straw) was added to the interior of the box. 

The straw is a natural way to provide the cat with a cozy and comfortable resting area.  Straw is natural insulation.  I set this box with the cat bed under my workbench in my heated garage. The area was away from the door opening and excess drafts.

Here are photographs of the box and the feral cat in the box below.





Know that K&H also makes a self-warming bed (see my photo below)   These beds are great for cold rooms however if your garage gets bitter cold then  I  recommend that you put these beds in an insulated cat house.

Also if your garage is not heated then it does get cold and while the cat's internal body temperature may be warm from the self-heated bed its ears and nose will be cold.  It is wise to invest in an insulated cat house or make your own especially if you keep your cats outdoors or in your garage during the winter months.


Here is a photo of my garage shelter, we have a window heater, outdoor carpet on the floor, self-warming beds, and insulated cat houses. We have also added the heat lightbulbs like the ones they use in the hen house.  My garage is open to all cats that need a warm shelter.  





Here is a video that will show you how to make an outdoor shelter for your cat.



No comments: