|Shadow outside the shelter with neighborhood cat|
Shadow stayed at my cat shelter for five days and on the sixth day he went home I did not see Shadow for two months and then in April I viewed him walking down the street. When he arrived at my street corner he stopped, slowly turned and then without hesitation he ran all the way down the hill. When he came to my sidewalk he ran up the sidewalk, past the side porch and when he reached the patio where I stood with my dog, Shadow stopped and approached my dog’s water bowl. He sat to drink and when he quenched his thirst he came to me and rubbed his body on my legs and then he rubbed on my dog.
- Some cats will leave home because there is new pet, person, or the household has changed from peaceful to turmoil. If the cat is no longer comfortable then they will leave their home for long periods of time.
- In Shadow's case it is due to improper socialization of the new cats that were brought into the home.
- Other cats wander away from their home and get lost. If they are found and have no identification then the finder will not be able to contact owner. Many cats do not intentionally leave their home, they forget how to go home.To visit with other cats.
- To eat from another homes outdoor cats bowl.
- Unaltered cats will leave home to mate.
- To find peace and harmony.
- Some cats will leave their home they are suffering from stress and anxiety.
- Many cats leave home because they are being neglected or mistreated.
- Outdoor cats leave their home unintentionally because they get lost in the neighborhood.