Translate

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Socializing Tips for Feral Kittens



Feral kittens in our care
Socializing a feral kitten is easier than an adult cat however the taming process does take time. In order to be successful the trainer must remain calm and provide the cat with positive energy. 

Charlie and Notti are feral kittens that were rescued when their mother was injured and we needed to take her in for emergency care.  The two kittens suffered from being separated from their mother.  When our veterinarian examined the kittens he advised me to release them because he found them too be too wild. 

I do not always do what I am told and did not give up on the feral kittens, even thought the socializing period was traumatic.  The kittens had not been weaned and we had to trap and cage them to feed them. 

The kittens did not like being handled by a human and they spit out the formula.  Along with their behavior issues they were both crying loudly for their mother.   

Both kittens showed improvement within a few days as they did not fight us when my husband and I tried to feed them. They were dependent upon us and were adjusting to their new surroundings even thought they were still a little scared.

Socializing Progress Report:
The feral kittens are dependent upon me and are getting friendlier.  The orange tabby kitten that I call Charlie has shown me some affection; sits on my desk and watches me while I work on the computer.  Sometimes he will tap my hand with his paw before running to hide behind the trashcan.  Notti will walk close to me and rub her head on my leg. 
6 week old kittens playing/ Notti on top

Both kittens were introduced to small catnip toys and a cat scratcher.  The toys enabled me to interact with the kittens and to build a stronger bond of trust.


No comments: