Translate

Friday, September 3, 2010

Saying Goodbye to a Feral Kitten

Saying goodby to a kitten that is only weeks old is the hardest thing that a colony caregiver can do.  There is always a reason why a kitten needs to be put down and even if you know it is the right decision it does not make it any easier.

I came to know this feral kitten whne the queen cat  brought her three young kittens to my garage shelter and that is where I trapped the mother cat  and all of the kittens for veterinarian care.  One kitten had a bite wound on his paw, another had a puncture wound on her head and one kitten had an infection in his eye.


the little Feral Norwegian Forest cat that was the last kitten to be trapped was rushed to the veternarians office and diagnosied with a serious eye infection. They administered antibiotics and he was kept at the animal clinic for ten days. Boris was released to go home for crate rest.

I put the feral kitten in the crate in new cat room and he was lyiing comfortably in the hamack, but he looked sad and lonely. His brother was in the other room and so brought the sibling cat crate into the cat room. 

The feral kittens; Charlie and Boris were so happy. They both talked to each other and then played paws between the slate of the crate before falling asleep. 

I left the room to make supper and whe I returned the little feral kitten with eye infection (Boris) was limping and his crate cracker brother Charlie had escaped from his crate and had climbed to the top of his brothers crate. 
   
I have no idea as to what occurred but I suspect that both brotheres were trying to get closer to each other, and the little kitten twisted his paw. 

We took Boris to the veterinarians and they took an X-ray to see if the leg was broken. They informed me that they did not think it was broken but it was close. the joint was twisted. Boris stayed at the animal clinic for 21 days and then they released him to me for home care.

The attending veterinarian was waiting for Boris leg to heal. Boris was to be confined to a crate and he needed peace and quite. I was the only one who entered his room and I spent 4-6 hours with him per day. 

Boris was so afraid of everything. I could not socialize him because of his leg however, in spite of his ailment he learned to trust me.

Today we took Boris for the check-up on his leg. The veterinarian took an X-ray and told us there was no change.  Boris had a very bad infection and the veterinarian said his immune system was weak.

I spoke to my husband as I did not know what to do, I needed to make a decision that was best for this little kitten that we called Boris. My husband suggested that we do what was best for the kitten. 

I contacted his pending adopter and she told me to do what was best for Boris. She did not want to see him suffer. What saddens me is this little kitten had an adopter who would give him a forever home.  He would have had a good life with his adopter.

Boris was 8 weeks old when he passed from this life to the next.  I have never had to say goodbye to a kitten and it broken my heart.

Here are few photographs of Boris.  They were taken in our garage cat shelter..
  


Wounded Lucy and her 3 feral kittens at my shed/shelter
Boris and Charlie checking out the litter box:  New territory for feral kittens
 
Boris on the bottom and Notti on the top:  Kittens playing
Notti on top and sweet Boris looking up
Boris comes out to visit Mom in the garden




2 comments:

Joey V. said...

So sorry, Boris is with Jesus now~God bless you and your husband, Susan. <3

S Golis said...

I wish I could have saved him.....He was so small and innocent. Thanks Jseven for your kind words and your prayers.
Susan