Translate

Saturday, August 22, 2020

About Special Needs Kitty Oliver




Oliver is a kitty that came to me because he needed help due to his “special needs’ In the past I had taken care of rescued cats that were partially blind, deaf and many cats that had behavior or anxiety issue but I never took care of special needs kitty like Oliver.
Oliver age 5

When Oliver was rescued he was a baby kitten that had been left with his siblings on a grassy section of the road. There was no water or food and the only way to get to homes or people was to cross a busy road. When my friend found Oliver she noted that all of the other kittens had ventured into the road and had been killed. Oliver remained in the grass but he was skin and bones and his eyes had clouded over which meant that death was near.

My friend who rescued Oliver took him home and did not sleep for the next 10 days. She nursed Oliver back to health and loved him dearly but said her husband would not let her keep him. So that is how I met Oliver. I was to foster, socialize, and help him to be a normal cat.  We had hoped that we could find him a forever home, but when we discovered his special needs we knew that was not an option. 

From the start I knew something was not right about Oliver. He was a rambunctious kitten that always bites on my hands. At first, I thought it was due to him being a kitten but when he started biting on cats paws I thought maybe he was trying to communicate that he wanted something.

I watched Oliver closely and discovered that he was not eating or drinking. He was very nervous and was constantly biting on my hands. I made up a food and water bowl for Oliver. Picked him up and put him in front of his own bowls and that cat ate and drank.

I soon learned that when Oliver wanted something he would bite on my hands.

Oliver is our special needs kitty because he is “slow” Presently he is five years old and still does not know to go and eat at the food bowl unless I pick him up and put him in front of his own bowl. He also bites my hands to use the litter box and bites my hands when he is scared. He still plays like a kitten and has no fear of any person or animal. He thinks everyone is his friend and that all the cats, dogs, and people love him.

Photo by Cat Adoption Guide /SD Golis
Oliver in the center with his kitty friends

He is incapable of detecting negative energy and does not understand that he needs to climb a tree or seek safety to get away from the neighbors growling dog. 

 We never let Oliver out of the house, not even into the garden. We are fearful that if he gets out that he may get into trouble due to his kitten-like behavior. But one day he got out of the house and all he wanted to do was rub on our neighbor's dog and show the dog that Oliver loved him. We were lucky that we got to Oliver before the dog was aggressive.

Yes Oliver is our special needs kitty, and I need to be with him daily to take care of him. He is five years old rambunctious cat that thinks he's a kitten. He still bites my hands when he wants to eat and drink or if he wants my hand to rest on his back until he falls to sleep. 

**Oliver eventually learned that it’s okay to eat with the other cats, but if the other cats are not eating and Oliver is hungry or thirsty he will tell me with a love bite on my hand.

Other
I was told that when Oliver’s eyes clouded over that the oxygen to his brain was not normal. When he was rescued he was dying and that is why he is slow.


No comments: