Translate

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

PRESCRIPTION PET FOOD SCAM




PRESCRIPTION PET FOOD IS not any better than the food you buy off the shelf and without a prescription from your local pet store. There is no medication, or herbs for natural healing in the food that would make it warrant a prescription and I learned that prescription pet food is a scam or in other words consumer fraud.
Rescued cat "Shadie" 
My story; Know that male cats in multiple cat homes or strays that are rescued are susceptible to getting a painful bladder condition that causes the cat to strain to pee and have crystals, bladder infection with blood in their urine.

This cat health condition affected 6 male cats that I had rescued, brought indoors to socialize before finding them forever homes. Each cat developed this condition and my veterinarian recommended that I feed them HILLS prescription C/D cat for the rest of their lives.
Rescued cat Frankie
I was told that this veterinarian prescription food would heal them and prevent them from having a re-occurrence. It was a long-term food treatment that I had to feed the cats for the rest of their life. I was told that veterinarians had developed the food and it was formulated to heal my cat, but I could not feed them any other cat food because if I did the cats would get sick.

From my experience the HILLS prescription C/D pet food did not heal my cats. The cats got worse, and we had made many trips to the veterinarian. The cats suffered, and my husband and I suffered the stress you feel when you see that your cats are not getting better and that they are still in pain and suffering. The food was not curing or healing the cats, 
Rescued cat Leo

There is so much sadness, that you feel inside like you are going to cry..when nothing you are doing is helping your cat. The cats were nervous, straining to pee, blood in their urine, in pain and the medicated / healing prescription food “was not curing them”

My husband and I were doing everything right but the cats were not getting better. At one point a normal cat (no health concerns ate the prescription medicated food) and I was distraught because or the medicine...that is when the veterinarian said 

"no worries" the food will prevent your cat from getting cystitis or other urinary conditions followed by all of my cats could eat the prescription food and it would help them by preventing any urinary or bladder conditions".

From that day forward and for the next year we were buying cases of canned food along with dry kibble weekly because the food was now a preventative a healing prescription diet to help all of my cats be healthy.

Note the food never helped the cats and three of the cat's health got worse and we had to put them down. The other three. I could not adopt them into forever homes because nobody wanted a “sick cat” who had to eat very expensive prescription food for the rest of their lives. So we kept the 3 cats because if we surrounded a sick cat to a shelter they would be euthanized. 
Rescued cat Louie
 We continued to feed them the prescription food, we added more litter boxes and kept them very clean we added the Feliway plug-in diffusers to calm the cats and to eliminate any stress. We also allow the remaining 3 cats to go out in the garden daily and this activity has been beneficial to their health. They seem happier but still seem to have periodic urinary problems where the urine is cloudy with a pink cast. Which means the prescription pet food never cured them.
Rescued cat Buddy

Know I was led to believe that the prescription cat food would heal my cats. I was a victim of consumer fraud. Scammed just like so many other pet owners who followed the recommendation by their veterinarians to feed their pets prescription diet food.
Rescued cat Sam
The problem with the Hills Prescription C/D multi-care food is there is no medication in it. In fact, the ingredients are poor quality in comparison to foods found off the shelf at your local pet store.  For one thing, the prescription C/D food has corn and soy, both are GMO foods because there is no mention of an organic source on the label. I did a food ingredient comparison and the food that does not require a prescription had better ingredients and costs less and you could buy it off the shelf at your local pet supply store.

Learn more at perscriptionpet food article How lab tests show pet food ingredients are no better or cleaner than off-shelf brands with interview of Dr. Karen Becker and see prescription pet food analysis here

Read another article by author “Prescription Pet Food Product Review”

No comments: