Translate

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

No Kill Pet Shelter Review

No kill shelters are popping up all over where I reside and to be honest I knew very little about them. I did research online to learn more about the policies and procedures at this type of an organization. When my research was completed I contacted the director of no kill pet shelter in the 4-state area where I reside.
Best to find adopters for cats, but if no adopters are available are No kill shelters the right choice?

I informed the director of this no kill animal facility that I oversaw a private cat rescue group that trapped feral, stray and abandoned cats for veterinarian care and then if we rehabilitate the cats to be people friendly before seeking adopters for the cats.  I informed her that we were left with four cats that were not adopted due to their age (mature cats). I inquired about the policies and procedures for the no kill shelter for surrendering a cat.
I let the director know that all cats were current with vaccines, they were sterilized and along with revolution application all cats had microchip.   Each cat costs us $149. for their medical needs.  All of the upfront expense had been taken care of.  I expected a $50 surrender fee for processing of paperwork.  To my surprise the director of the no kill shelter told me that  my upfront costs per each cat surrendered to the shelter would be approximately $275. (this is an in take fee)
Additionally I must provide each animal with their own cage, cat bed, cats toys and current medial records, all cats must have heartworm and flea preventive and they must be bathed, groomed and have collar with rabies tag and pet identification tag and copy of current medical records.  The shelter director said that cats will feel more comfortable in their own cages and bed.
After the surrender costs I would then have to pay  a monthly pet maintenance to cover food, heartworm medication as well as service fee for the workers to care for my pet until the cat is adopted.  
I asked if there was a fee for the adoption of my cats and she responded that there was a $60.00 placement fee for all pets adopted at the no kill shelter.  So I needed to pay a surrender fee of $275. per cat, plus monthly fees on average $40 to $60 to maintain the health and well being of my cat until they were adopted and then the adopter had to pay a $60. fee for the processing of paperwork and the cat.   
When I asked what occurs if the pet owner skips or can no longer pay the monthly fees the response was if any money was left over they would provide for the animal.  
If you are considering a facility like this I would recommend that you ask a lot of questions and inquire about the surrender fees at the no kill pet shelter.
Learn more about no kill shelters by viewing this YouTube.com News video.

No comments: